Personality v Policy
The Burnet News Club covered this issue in September and October 2016
The Burnet News Club is a network of school news clubs in the UK. Clubs run for one hour per week either after school or in lesson time. All clubs in the network focus on the same issue in the news at the same time. We explore a new issue each half term.
Written by Economist journalists, our content is designed to build up understanding of core concepts that are essential to making sense of current affairs.
In this sample issue, the club members focused on the recent US Presidential Election and the role of personality versus policies in a divisive and unpredictable election process.
This sample issue includes:
- An overview of the issue
- Powerpoint presentation showing background facts so young people can understand the context
- The main arguments on this issue and the prominent people who are making them
- A poster comparing the policies for each candidate
- Explanations of the important concepts young people need to make sense of this issue
- Detailed optional session plans for teachers, showing how the content could be used in each club session
- Content to support engaging activities and games that promote critical thinking about the issue
- Writing frames to help club members prepare posts for the Hub.
Read what the club members had to say on the US Election issue here
INTRODUCTION TO THE TOPIC
What’s the issue?
On November 8th America will hold an election to choose the person voters think should be the next president of America. The presidential campaign is now in full swing and it has turned into quite a drama. It has dominated the country’s media and American people are hooked. Many people around the world are also interested.
The competition has been fierce. The two main candidates have been trying to bring each other down through attacks in speeches, interviews and social media. They will go head to head in televised debates, hoping to convince Americans that their opponent wouldn’t make a good president.
In this issue we will be examining the promises that each is making, and the ways that a candidate’s personality can affect the trust of voters. America is the most powerful country in the world.
Whatever happens on November 8th, it will have a big impact on America and the rest of the world.