Weekly Competition #16

Good reasoning skills needed!

This week sees the return of the odd one out competition! Have a look at the pictures below and tell us which one you think is the odd one out AND why AND why this is important. We are looking for excellent reasons, curiosity filled thinking and a close eye for detail. Good luck! Winners will be announced on Friday next week.

PICTURE A

PICTURE B

PICTURE C

Photo A credit: Klaus, Photo B credit: Samantha Henneke, Photo C credit: Christian Bauer

67 Comments

1. St Peter's Primary School St Peter's Primary School

the odd one out is the duck billed platipus (is that how you spell it??) because it is not an insect like the bee and the ant. nobody should be an odd one out we are all human so we should celebrate our differences because without them life would be ever so boring!! 😀
    ApplesAndPears10

2. St Peter's Primary School St Peter's Primary School

also the ant and the bee are on flowers/plants
    ApplesAndPears10

3. St Gregory's Catholic Primary School St Gregory's Catholic Primary School

I think picture A is the odd one out because picture B and C dont tend to go in water and Why would they go in water?

By Greencat

4. St Gregory's Catholic Primary School St Gregory's Catholic Primary School

I THINK PICTURE A BECAUSE THE ANIMAL CAN GO UNDERWATER AND IS THE ONLY MAMMAL
    SHRECKBOX1804

5. St Gregory's Catholic Primary School St Gregory's Catholic Primary School

i believe that picture A is the odd one out as it is not an insect and is able to survive wet conditions as well as being able to swim, whereas an ant when it goes in a pond or any type of water it doesn’t survive it. this is the same with the bee.

Koalacorn

6. St Peter's Primary School St Peter's Primary School

I think the platypus is different because platypuses are common in Catalonia. The other 2 may still be found in Catalonia but platypuses are rare.
    AgentKitty

7. St Gregory's Catholic Primary School St Gregory's Catholic Primary School

I believe picture A because it swims under water ,also it is a mammal and C and B are insects .So Picture A is the odd one out as it is :a mammal and it swims.

PGT282

8. St Gregory's Catholic Primary School St Gregory's Catholic Primary School

I think picture a .

I think this because it has done more than ONE thing . It has decided to jump into the water . He has probably just started because the water looks quite shallow . Also in picture A there is lots of disgusting things like empty crisp packets, plastic bags EXT .As on the other ones it is all sweet like there is a collecting things to eat & the same as the insect

pandaboy

9. St Gregory's Catholic Primary School St Gregory's Catholic Primary School

i personally think that the odd one out is picture A because the other animals help the environment. for example the bee helps the world by take pollen from plants and the world could not survive without bees also ants keep the environment clean by feeding on waste and dead animals. also the bee and the ant are insects and the platypus is actually a mammal even though it lays eggs. all of the animals have a nasty sting or bite or poison however i still think that the platypus is the odd one out!

slothocorn

10. The odd one out is picture A, the platypus because it is not an insect.

MR L 10

11. I think that picture A is the odd one out because it is a mammal not an insect and even though it lays eggs its still different to pictures b and c. This is important because the insects in pictures b and c work together as a team but in picture a the mammal is independent and hasn’t got a team to work with. I think it is important to be in a part of a team because you can achieve more when you are working together.
    Goalshooterhabe.

12. It also can swim under water but, the insects can’t. Also the Platypus is always on its own were as, the insects are always with there own kind.

MR L 10

13. I believe that the picture A [platypus] is the odd one out there are many differences between the creatures but because the platypus is the most different between all of them because its a sea mammal.

the”NEWS”flash

14. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

In my humble opinion, I think A is the odd one out since it’s not an insect and it’s a Platypus. Also Platypuses swim underwater and insects don’t. Thank you for listening to my opinion commented by, BlueTheBerry101

15. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

In my opinion,I think that the platypus is the odd one out because platypuses are found everywhere except Antantica and bees and ants well insects don’t really swim a lot
    RainbowUnicorn246

16. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

Perry the Platypus is the odd one out because he is not a insect and it is more hard to find.
    _*MarzHackz*_

17. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

I believe that the platypus is the odd one out because it is a sea mammal,it is not an insect like the bee and the ant,it is the only one in the water and it is not a entomon(insect).

social1351

18. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

hello fellow people in my opinion it is a platypus because it can be found everywhere else but antartica the bee can only live in tropical climate and the ant can only live underground (i think)

19. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

I believe that A is the odd one because it is a duck billed platypus and the others are incest’s.A is from Australia and it can not be found in Antarctica also A is a water creature and B and C are land insects. However,A is a mammal and B and C are invertebrates.
    Owl123

20. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

I think the odd one out is the platypus because he is not an insect and the rest are insects which cant be under water
    beedoll.2241

21. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

I think that picture A [platypus] is the odd one out since it is a sea mammal unlike the bee and the ant which are insects which both live around plants , which the platypus doesn’t since it lives on water.

Ladypufflekins543

22. Colegrave Primary School Colegrave Primary School

Hello fellow people who are reading I am giving your challenge a go i personally think it is numeral A my reason is platypus is different because they are the only specie on the list who lives in ANTARCTICA and the ant and the bee live on land in every o

23. St Peter's Primary School St Peter's Primary School

It cant be picture B or C because they are both insects and they are both on flowers. Going back to the Russia and rights topic, I think that in a way it is not right because both insects are on a plant so it isn’t letting insects go out of boundaries. Its like they are only allowed on plants or they would be abused. I think that picture A is the odd one out because the mammal is getting its own freedom and its not on a plant neither is it an insect.
    Thanks for reading
    Bubblequeen 🙂

24. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

In my opinion, picture A is the odd one out because the animal in the picture is a platypus, but in the other pictures, the animals are insects. Furthermore, the platypus is an animal that can breathe and swim under the water unlike the other pictures have shown, and the platypus has fur to keep itself warm. As well as the platypus lives in an area full of water and sticks while the insects don’t and water doesn’t affect platypuses but affects insects.

Knighthunter24

25. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

+ Picture A is also a mammal and both insects are on plants while the platypus isn’t.
    Knighthunter24

26. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

As well as Picture A being from Australia but the insects aren’t
    Knigthhunter24

27. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

*Knighthunter24

28. Streatham Wells Primary School Streatham Wells Primary School

i think that A is the odd one out because it is in autumn while the others are in spring or summer
    StarryLilacUnicorn:):)

29. I think think it is A because
    1. It is not an insect
    2. It’s not on a flower like B&C and
    Like applesandpears 10 said everyone is different.

30. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

I think that the odd one out is picture A (the platypus) because picture B and C (the ant and bee) are insects that do not stay in the water however the platypus lives and stays under water. Also the platypus is a mammal but the thing about the bee and ant is that they are both not mammals but they are insects.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

31. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

My opinion is that picture A (the platypus) is the odd one out is because you can’t find them anywhere randomly. The thing that makes the platypus the odd one out is that the ant and the bee (pictures A and B) is not odd because you can find them anywhere where ever you are.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

32. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

I say that the bee and the ant (pictures B and C) are not odd because they are small tiny insects. As well as me saying that they’re are not the odd ones out, I think that the platypus is the odd one out because it is quite a big mammal.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

33. Malcolm Arnold Academy Malcolm Arnold Academy

I believe that picture B is the odd one out because it’s the only one that can conduct electricity. From doing a Google image search, the ant is known as a “crazy ant” or a “rasberry crazy ant”. These ants can short out computer circuits however the bee nor the Platypus cannot. Therefore picture B is the odd one out.

@The~Asgardian~Reporter

Sources :

34. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

I think that picture A -that is a platypus- is the odd one out because it’s on the water however, pictures B and C -which is the ant and the bee- is not on the water but they are both on flowers that you can find mostly anywhere especially in the seasons like summer or spring.

Comment by:lovebunnycharm

35. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

My opinion is that the odd one out is the platypus -picture A- because the way the picture has been taken, it looks quite messy. If you look at the other two pictures -pictures A and B (the ant and the bee)- they have been taken very nicely and way more neater that made the picture more lovely to see.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

36. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

One thing that goes against what I said about the platypus -picture A-
    is that the bee -picture C- has fur so does the platypus. So that kind of proves that the platypus isn’t the only odd one out. However, the one that becomes odd is the ant -picture B- because it doesn’t have any fur on it.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

37. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

Even though I said that the platypus (picture A) is the odd one out, I kind of go against that by saying that the platypus isn’t the only odd one. In pictures A and B, (the platypus and the bee) they both have parts of brown on their bodies. On the other hand, the bee (picture C) doesn’t have any parts of brown on it’s body. It only has yellow and blackeep on it’s self. So that means the odd one out is the bee.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

38. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

I also kind of think that the bee -picture C- is the odd one out because it has wings. If you think about the platypus and the ant (pictures A and B) they don’t have any wings like the bee does. That is how the bee becomes the odd one out even though there are reasons to why the platypus is the odd one out.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

39. Allhallows Primary Academy Allhallows Primary Academy

I don’t think there is a odd one out. OK, two are insects that can’t live underwater. If I was going from that then yes, A would be the odd one out. However, I’m looking for a detail that is broad but narrow at the same time. They are all free creatures, all with lives and all worth something in this world. That is the broad classification. The narrow is the details about them that make their lives worth living. The details that make them them. The details that make them worth something. We are all worth something. We are all the odd one out. We are all different. But we are all the same too.
    Catmad

40. I think that picture A is the the odd one out since it has colossal eyes which doesn’t mach the rest also it is not an insect and it lives in water.
    My second reason is that it is much huger than the rest of them.

BatQueen211

41. I think that it is picture A because
    1. Its not an insect
    2. Its not on a flower like B and C and
    3. Its underwater
    Jakus 43
    # I forgot to put my hub handle

42. Faringdon Community College Faringdon Community College

The Duck-billed platypus is the odd one out because it can survive in water and on land were as the ant and the bee can only live on land. Also the bee and the ant are insects and the platypus is a mammal.

Ravenclaw Diader

43. Faringdon Community College Faringdon Community College

Image b is the odd one out as whilst bees and platypi are carnivore or herbivore the humble ant is a omnivore. this is the reason why the ant is the odd one out.
    Goldrhino

44. Faringdon Community College Faringdon Community College

the platypus is the odd one out because it has a beak, it swims and its not an insect
    -GoldenMarley

45. Oasis Academy Don Valley Oasis Academy Don Valley

I think that picture A is the odd one out because pictures B and C are insects and Picture A is a mammal.
    I also think Picture A is the odd one out because Picture A lives underwater whereas Pictures B and C live anywhere.

Curious Detective!

46. Faringdon Community College Faringdon Community College

I think that the odd one out of the three pictures would be the ant in picture B because the other two animals are considered endangered. The duck-billed platypus is found to be endangered, however is classified “least concern” which means that it isn’t a massive problem. Also the bee is now beginning to be threatened too. The reason that I have chosen the ant to be the most different out of the three images is because I feel that that is one of the major differences between these species. It is really important when thinking about how they are adapted to survive in their environment. It can really give you an insight into where they live, what problems they encounter. The ant seems to be least harmed by things like climate change and various other problems that other species encounter because they have adapted really well. For example they live underground and so cannot burn in the heat and extreme temperatures in places like Africa. These reasons mean that the ant has evolved and now lives in places all over the world. This is why I chose the ant (picture B) as the odd one out.
    RoseCat

47. Faringdon Community College Faringdon Community College

Image A is the odd one out because images B & C depict insects that contribute towards a more balanced environmental system. As you can see, the ant and bee are resting on flowers, which could carry a double meaning of photosynthesis – take it further and you can evaluate how photosynthesis balances out the carbon dioxide missions in the Earth’s atmosphere. Leading on from this, image A displays a duckbill platypus swimming in a body of water. If you take a closer inspection, it transpires the water the mammal is in murky or contaminated water with fallen vegetation of some sorts. This could portray the environmental effects of Climate Change/Global Warming.

-Aesthetichouseplant

48. I think it’s the duck-billed platypus (Picture A) as:

1) It’s not on a flower like the other animals
    2) It’s not an insect
    3)It can survive in water as well as land
    4) It’s a mammal

-JoJoSays-

49. I think the platypus (picture A) because it is related to our current issue as picture A is an independent creature but picture b and c are creatures that stay in a group.
    -Fluffyisinterested-

50. I think that picture A was the odd one out (Duck-billed Platypus ) because it swims in water and the other ones don’t (Bee and Ant) , also the Bee and the Ant are insects (have six legs) .
    Cocktail Inferno

51. For some reason I think its the bee, first of all the bee Is the only one that brings pollen to he flowers, if they didn’t do that, we wouldn’t have a lot of oxygen.

52. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

I also think that the bee (picture C) is the odd one out because the bee has a job like collecting pollen to make honey whereas, the platypus (picture A) doesn’t have a job. The ant (picture B) again doesn’t have a job. So that makes the odd one out as the bee because it does have a job.

Comment by: lovebunnycharm

53. John Ruskin Primary School John Ruskin Primary School

In my opinion, I think A is the odd one out for many reasons. To start with, the platypus is in water and is a mammal while the ant and bee aren’t. Another thing is that the ant and bee are in the picture with another living thing, and the platypus is by itself.

By cupcakesandrainbows

54. Foxfield Primary School Foxfield Primary School

#sly fox
    In my opinion I think the odd one out is picture A because B and C are in the same habitat and also they are both insects.I also think that photograph A has been taken in a different season, to me it looks like Autumn. A is also shows a very different habitat (water)and also a completely different animal nowhere near the same so again I say picture A is the odd one out.

55. Foxfield Primary School Foxfield Primary School

#Blue_Fox
    I think the odd one out is A because it is a duck billed platypus and is only one of 2 mammals that lay eggs. The other mamas that does it is an Echidna together they are known as Monotreme and they are found in Australia. We found this out by asking our Year 4 teacher who had been to Australia in the summer on holiday and had learnt lots about wildlife. Thank you Mrs Vaggs.

56. Foxfield Primary School Foxfield Primary School

# JDfox
    I know that the name of the animal in picture A is duck billed platypus and it is the odd one because is the only picture a is not to show an animal on a flower.

57. Foxfield Primary School Foxfield Primary School

#Footy_Fox
    In my opinion I believe all of them are are the odd one out because they are all original in their own way. I believe that being and an individual is sooooooo important because everyone needs their own thoughts and rights. It is important not to follow everyone and to celebrate being ourselves and what we are good for.

58. Foxfield Primary School Foxfield Primary School

#golden–fox
    In my opinion I think it is picture A because it is a very rare duck billed platypus and the other two can not swim also the two can sting.

59. Foxfield Primary School Foxfield Primary School

#purple fox
    I think the odd one out is the bee because its the only one that flies and its one of the animals that don t have strength to carry anything big. The duck billed platypus can carry a stick and ants are very strong they all have individual things but in my opinion I think I will choose the bee. Thanks for reading my news.

60. Chiltern Way Academy Chiltern Way Academy

I can do a tail whip in a scooter L.H

61. Chiltern Way Academy Chiltern Way Academy

I choose to be independent then I can do my own things and be free . I think it would be better being independent. t.s

62. Guine Pig

63. I think the platypus is the odd one out because the other two animals work in teams of thousands or tens of thousands in a hive or nest but the platypus only lives with it’s family which is no more than 5. Also the other two are insects but this one is a mammal. As well as this, the ant and bee would die if they went in water the the platypus lives in water.

YellowOwl2

64. I think C is the odd one out because a bee can fly, but an ant and a platypus cannot. However, it could be the platypus because the bee and the ant both have antennae.
    *CheesePuff14

65. I think the platypus is the odd one out because it isn’t an insect. Both the bee and the ant are both classed as an insect while the platypus is a mammal. Also the size difference is an obvious point because the platypus are so much larger than the other animals.

ImplodingKitten